Solo Aqui::::Only Here

My Wednesday ritual of posting a "Daily Rhythm" is going to morph a little, as any good idea should, right?  I have loved sharing with your some of our rhythms in our life for the past few weeks.

Through the process I have found that there are just some things that we do that don't fit into everyone of my 24 hour days, but happen in an irregularity that some how forms a pattern over time. Life is so complex in it's simplicity.

So, instead I am going to share our "Solo Aqui" moments, or our "Only Here." I hope to share things that we are doing right now...in this moment....only here, solo aqui.


Only Here:::Solo Aqui, we are  speaking Spanish. No one in my family is fluent, however I have at least a functional amount of  Spanish language knowledge.

Recently a good friend mentioned that no matter how much you know of a language just sharing those bits and pieces you do know with your children can make a world of difference in their language skills, studies, and growth for their entire lives.

That message struck me and was sort of an a-ha moment. It doesn't matter that I am not fluent in any other language but English. What matters is I DO know the colors, numbers, phrases, and many vocabulary words in Spanish that I could share with my son. AND that is exactly what  I have been doing.


Now when we talk about colors I share not only the Engish version but the Spanish too. When counting I make sure to also count in Spanish. When I talk about food I make sure to call cetain foods I know by their Spanish names too.  It's a little bit of an adjustment but it truly is a simple gift I can pass along to my son.


What are you doing right now, only here, solo aqui in your life?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for coming by and following my blog!

    I love those sesame street flash cards you have! How great to teach your child a foreign language. I speak a little Spanish but my sister in law is near fluent.

    Right now we're working on baby sign language. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi The Bargain Babe,

    Oh, baby sign language is so helpful! I use it with my son all the time. It makes life so much easier (and less frustrating for him) when he can ask for something and be understood. Hope it works out for you! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I want to teach my daughter spanish too, but most of what I know is curses. hehe. But, I love your idea and am inspired to get some flash cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lulu,

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Yes, teach your daughter anything you know...maybe not the curses until she's older. My son loves the flash cards and he's only 14 months. Wishing you a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing the right thing! Those little steps are enough to pique an interest for other languages + foster certain bilingual reassurance in very young minds.

    My mother would pepper our conversation with basic English (colors, numbers, simple sentences) when I was growing up, and I think it really helped me be comfortable with English on my own at a very early age.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...