A Cherry Cream Cheese Danish to Celebrate
Yesterday was a special day for my husband and me. The day was clear and sunny, just as it was six years ago when we got married. As I have mentioned before, January is a BIG month for us. We have several birthdays and anniversaries of various types to celebrate most weekends in January.
Since we have several more "larger" celebrations coming up soon, we decided to take it easy on our special day. With the help of grandparents we were able to sneak away for a quiet lunch together and then a hike in the open space near our home.
Before heading out on our adventure, my sweet man presented me with a hommade cherry and cream cheese danish. He made the dough by hand (impressive, right?) and presented the danish to me along with a steaming cup of hot French-pressed coffee. I don't think my morning could have gotten any better.
Quick & Tasty Cherry -Cream Cheese Danish:
for the crust:
1 cup flour
1 stick of butter (cold and cut into chunks)
2-4 TBS of milk (preferably whole)
For the Filling:
1/2 cup Bing Cherry Jam
1/2 cup Cream Cheese
To Make the Curst:
1. In a food processor mix the flour and butter. As the butter and flour slowly blend together it will begin to look like cornmeal.
2. As the flour and butter blend slowly add the milk starting with tablespoon at a time. You will have to eye this part as you want the dough to become slightly sticky but not too wet. This usually happens between 3 and 4 tablespoons of milk.
3. Once all ingredients are blended, pull the dough ot the food processor and roll it into a ball. Cover it in plastic wrap and chill it for at least 2 hours. Overnight is best.
Assemble the Danish:
1. remove the crust from the plastic wrap. roll out onto a floured surface. Roll until the dough is at least 2 cm thick.
2. Roll and curl the edges of the dough inward to create a crust.
3. Place the crust on a cookie sheet and spread the cream cheese onto the dough.
4. Pour the jam on top and place the danish in the overn at 350 F for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. Let cool and serve.
(Check out other's great recipes this Monday over at Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms)