Solo Aqui:: Preserving Memories

Life happens quickly and I find there isn't always time to  document in elaborate or beautiful ways. I absolutely wish I had several few hours to put together a lovely scrap book of all of my life's happenings, but you know what?  Right now, it's just not feasible for me. So, instead I jot down memories.
Next to my bed I keep a stack of lined index cards in a little wooden box with a  pen I adore writing with. Before I tuck myself in after a long busy day I take 5 minutes and I think of one or two memories, moments, feats of accomplishments, or what-have-you and I jot them down.  Sometimes it turns into just a list, other times I find myself writing short prose, haikus, or pretty snippets of poetry. I date the index cards and keep them ordered by month.

On quiet evenings my family sometimes goes through the index cards and selects ones to read aloud and share. We find ourselves reminicsing about past events, silly moments, and those special tender ones too.

I bundle up the memories with a rubber band and hide them away in a memory box tucked back in my closet. Sometimes it's fun to pull down  the cards from past years and have a look. So much changes in a short period of time.

How do you like to preserve and document your family's memories?

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to remember things that are meaningful to you!

    I have been a scrapbooker for several years now -and have always enjoyed preserving memories in that way.
    I use my blog as another way to memory keep.
    I just recently discovered Project Life http://www.beckyhiggins.com
    It's a way to incorporate pictures and journaling in a simple organized way. I just started it this week and I'm loving the simpleness of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsay, Oh project life sounds great! I am going to have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's great! I don't have time to scrapbook, either, so this is a much better option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great. I write down all the funny and cute things my kids say. The kids LOVE to pull them out and laugh at the things they said as toddlers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do that with an app/website called Memiary. I like yours better since it's easy to pick a day at random to look back at when there are physical cards in front of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Paige: Oh yes, I would love to scrapbook too, but time is always in short supply for me.

    @Janet: I love that you write down the funny things your children day. I will have to incorporate that into my indox notes.

    @TintedGreen: I am so going to have to check out the website/app you suggest. Sounds very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a good idea, even if it is only a feeling that you document, or something incredible your child has said. Beautiful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jo and Kala! Oh so glad you like the idea. It's a lot of fun (: Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...